Zucchini Boat Turkey Tacos
Serves: 4 servings
Low calorie, low carb, low fat but high flavor Zucchini Boat Turkey Tacos |
- 4 medium zucchini
- ½ cup salsa (plus more for serving)
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ small onion, minced
- 4 oz tomato sauce
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup (or so) shredded Mexican cheese blend
- sour cream, optional for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Pour ½ cup of salsa into the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- Cut the zucchini in half lengthwise then with a small spoon or melon baller (I used my tablespoon measuring spoon), hollow out the zucchini pieces but leave ¼″ rim. Save ¾ cup of the zucchini flesh and chop into small pieces.
- Drop the zucchini halves into the boiling water and cook for one minute. Remove from water and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground turkey, breaking it up while it cooks. When it’s no longer pink, add in the spices and mix well.
- Add in the chopped onion, reserved zucchini, tomato sauce, and water. Stir it up then cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, arrange the boiled zucchini halves into the bottom of the 9×13 dish.
- Once the meat mixture is done, spoon the mixture into the zucchini boats evenly. Press down so the filling stays in the boats.
- Top each half with a sprinkle of cheese.
- Cover the pan with foil and bake for approximately 30 minutes until the zucchini is fully cooked and the cheese is melted.